This city block was set aside in 1837 for a public market, the third of its kind after the St. Lawrence (1803) and St. Patrick's (1836) Markets. Built in 1850 and eventually named "St....
Dedicated in 1914, St. Josaphat's is the city's earliest Ukrainian Catholic Institution. It was founded by the immigrants from western Ukraine who came to Toronto in the early 1900s. Settling...
The northern part of the Casa Loma Estate, comprising the Hunting Lodge, Potting Shed, Greenhouses and the Stables complex was begun in 1905 by builder Herbert Elgie, according to the design of...
A scholar of diverse interests and talents, Daniel Wilson was noted in Britain as the author and illustrator of studies of old Edinburgh and of Scottish prehistory. In 1853 he was appointed to the...
A recognized international authority on banking, Walker was general manager of the Canadian Bank of Commerce from 1886 and its president, 1907-1924. His love of the arts and interest in...
In 1862 the Scarborough Rifle Company was organized with headquarters in a school at Eglinton Avenue near Markham Road. It was the first of several militia companies formed in York County. The...
A fine example of Gothic Revival architecture in the style of early English parish churches, St. Stephen-in-the-Fields, named for its original rural setting, represents the work of two...
Faema's current headquarters sits on the corner of Dupont and Christie in Toronto's West End. The structure, originally constructed by Ford, possesses a rich history dating back to The First World...
John Scadding (1754-1824), the manager of Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe's Estate in Devonshire, arrived in Canada in 1792, and came to York with Simcoe the following year. He was granted...
The construction of the Studio Building for Canadian art was commissioned by renowned Canadian artist Lawren Harris (1885-1970), an heir to the Massey-Harris farm machinery fortune, and...
Jesse Ketchum (1780-1867) was a tanner, politician and generous public benefactor in the town of York. He helped to establish churches, schools and libraries. A life long opponent of the use...
Formerly known as St. Michael's Palace, the Cathedral Rectory is the official residence of the Catholic Bishops and Archbishops of Toronto. In April 1845 work began on both the Cathedral...
St. Hilda's was founded in 1888 as a women's college affiliated with the University of Trinity College. Opportunities at that time for a higher education for women in Canada were few....
St. Matthew's Lawn Bowling Clubhouse was, for more then a century, a local landmark and sports facility. Founded in 1899, it was one of several lawn bowling clubs that appealed to genteel Toronto...
Upon the confederation of Canada on July 1, 1867, Sir John A. Macdonald (1815-1891) became Canada's first prime minister. His government completed construction of the transcontinental...
St. Michael's Hospital opened on this site in 1892 in a Baptist church which had been converted into a women's boarding house by the Sisters of St. Joseph. The hospital opened with 26 beds,...
Born in Williamsburg Township, Dundas County, and educated at the Cornwall Grammar School, Whitney was called to the Bar in 1876. He was elected to the Provincial Parliament as Conservative...
A prominent businessman and philanthropist, Howland was a leading Reform politician and a Father of Confederation. Founder of Lambton Mills, he was elected to the provincial legislature in 1858....
The cornerstone of St. Michael's Cathedral was laid on May 8, 1845, by the Most Reverend Michael Power, first Catholic Bishop of Toronto. Designed by William Thomas, the building is an...
Spadina ExpresswayIn the 1960s, this stretch of Spadina Road was to be transformed into the southern end of a sunken, four- to six-lane expressway and a subway line. They would connect downtown...