Erected by colleagues and friends of Rosa and Spencer Clark as a tribute to their life work in conservation, the arts and other facets of community service.The Guild of All Arts, co- founded by...
Born in the Newtonbrook Methodist parsonage which stood nearby, Pearson was educated at Toronto and Oxford Universities. He served overseas from 1915 to 1918 and, in 1928, joined the Department...
In this area of the cemetery lie buried many of the inhabitants of the early town of "Muddy York".They were originally buried in "The Potter's Field", a plot of 2.4 ha in Yorkville at what is now...
The Robertson Building at 215 Spadina was originally home to the James Robertson Company, manufacturers and distributors of plumbing fittings and fixtures. The building was constructed in 1911 to...
The adjacent plaque was the first created by the Toronto Historical Board, and was installed in 1969 on an earlier building on the site. It marks the first place in Toronto where citizens...
As dawn broke on Thursday October 14, 1954, Hurricane Hazel reached Southern Ontario after lashing the eastern United States. By midnight Friday, October 15, an estimated 209 mm of rain had...
When Earlscourt was annexed to Toronto in 1910, locals petitioned for a public park. Originally, Earlscourt Park was called Royce Park. Allan Royce, born 1835 in Rutlandshire, England, emigrated...
Opened in 1964 in the basement of a Victorian row house that once stood on this site, the Riverboat coffee house quickly became one of North America's premier intimate venues for...
This house, clustered with three others both behind and beside it, was once a part of an exclusive residential neighbourhood. Built for Rupert Simpson, co-owner of the Toronto Knitting and Yarn...
This window was created in 1899 by the Robert McCausland Company, which has the longest continuous history of any stained-glass firm in North America. Five successive generations of the McCausland...
This landmark industrial building was designed by Chicago architect Max Dunning and the Toronto firm of Burke, Horwood, and White. In later years, matching additions were built to the...
James Richardson and his family came to Scarborough in 1824 from Londonderry, Ireland. His descendants became physicians, ministers and men active in public life. The eldest son John (1786-1875)...
In 1856, the City of Toronto purchased 48 ha east of the Don River, including this park, for the building of the Don Jail. The land had previously been cultivated by John and Melicent...
This hotel stands on town lots granted in 1798 to William Dummer Powell, who built a log house on the site in 1812. Brick houses built here in 1844 by Captain Thomas Dick later became Sword's...
On August 16, 1933, at the end of a playoff game for the Toronto junior softball championship, one of the city's most violent ethnic clashes broke out in this park (then known as Willowvale...
What is now known as Roden School of Toronto had its beginning in November, 1906, in that section of the County of York known as the Midway, a part wedged in between Greenwood Ave. and the...
Submitted by @jqmcd.
The Riverdale Heritage Conservation District was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in 2008 to protect portions of First Avenue, Tiverton Avenue, and West Avenue. The designation applies to...
In the early 1920s, radio receivers were powered by direct current from batteries that were awkward to use and needed frequent recharging. Edward S. "Ted" Rogers Sr., a Toronto radio...
Here, during World War II, the Royal Norwegian Air Force trained its air and ground crews. Land for a training camp was provided free by the Toronto Harbour Commissioners at the foot of...