William Osgoode, M.A. (Oxon) who, when the Province of Upper Canada was organised in 1792, became its First Chief Justice, and was afterwards Chief Justice of Lower Canada. Died 17th January 1824,...
Originally "Fitzpatrick Appointment."Established in 1841 by the Wesleyan Methodist congregation in Wexford. Conveyed to the Canadian Methodist Church in 1884, then to the United Church of Canada...
The original community of Willowdale was established between Lansing and Newtonbrook on today's Park Home and Finch Avenues. Jacob and Elizabeth Cummer (Kummer) and their family were some of the...
One hundred years ago women won their struggle for admission to classes at the University of Toronto. Although they had been allowed to write the matriculation examination of the university...
Born near Dundee, Scotland, William Lyon Mackenzie came to Upper Canada in 1820, and four years later founded a political newspaper, the "Colonial Advocate", at Queenston. Sharply critical of...
This College was founded in 1877 to prepare men of evangelical conviction for the Anglican ministry. Four years earlier a group of Anglican clergy and laity committed to evangelical principles...
Built in 1848 by the eighth child of Scarborough's first settlers, David and Mary Thomson, natives of Dumfriesshire, Scotland, who came to Canada in 1795 and made their home in a log cabin in...
Submitted by @jqmcd.
This Highland Creek burying ground dates back to the reign of George III prior to 1800. On this site stood Wesleyan Methodist Church 1865-1891 merged with Bible Christian Methodist...
Women's College Hospital has earned a distinctive place in Canadian medical history. From its beginnings as a small out-patient clinic in 1898 to its development as a modern teaching hospital, the...
This grand home was built for William Stewart Darling, rector of Toronto's Church of the Holy Trinity. It was prominently situated to offer spectacular lake views and to overlook a scenic ravine...
Born in York Township, Billy McKay, a local farmer of Irish descent, donated 4.7 ha of land in the vicinity of Coxwell Avenue and Mortimer Avenue, towards three significant East York...
Submitted by @jqmcd
Most decorated war hero in the history of Canada, the British Empire, and the Commonwealth of NationsVictoria CrossDistinguished Service Order (twice)Military Cross (three times)Mentioned...
The walled portion of today's Fort York traces the army's 1813-16 replacement post for York constructed shortly after the Battle of York in April 1813.An earlier fort, built between 1800-13 and...
This sculpture was donated by The Historical Society of Mecklenburg Upper Canada Inc., with the financial assistance of The Consumers' Gas Company Limited and The Council of Metropolitan...
William (Billy) Avery Bishop, VC, CB, DSO & Bar, MC, DFC, Chevalier de la Légion d'honneur, Croix de guerre avec palmes (2) and William George Barker, VC, DSO & Bar, MC & Two Bars, Italian Silver...
Queen's Park - "The People's Park" Previously known as University Park, Queen's Park was renamed in honour of Queen Victoria and officially opened by her son H.R.H. the Prince of Wales (later...
Winchester Street School began here in a frame building on September 21, 1874. Headmaster Andrew Hendry and Margaret Fraser taught all 207 pupils. Adult evening classes commenced in 1882 and...
Library service was introduced to this area by the West Toronto Junction Mechanics' Institute in 1888. Twenty years later, Toronto Junction received a Carnegie grant to construct this library,...