Chorley Park was originally the property of Toronto Alderman John Hallam, born in Chorley, Lancashire. In 1911 the garden provided the setting for Ontario's last Government House, which was...
Casa Loma was thought to be pretentious, confused and not a "real" castle. It did not "fit in" with Toronto, and, in addition to the Norman and Scottish style of its towers, there were...
The mural recreates a scene showing members of the Highland Creek community working together to build an addition to the Wesley Methodist Chapel in the early winter of 1867. The chapel once...
Nabes were a phenomenon that peaked in the late 1940s and lasted until the 1970s. They showed small-budget movies and were run by "mom and pop" and larger business ventures. The local nabe became...
The family of Elizabeth (née Fisher) and Jacob Cummer (Kummer) was important to the founding of Willowdale (North York). Among the area's early settlers of German descent, they arrived...
These gardens are presented to the people of Toronto as a memorial of Edmund Boyd Osler, and Ann Farquharson, his wife, by their children, A.D. 1926. Here, amidst his children and...
The park site is on land originally subdivided for building lots by Jesse Ketchum (1782-1867) who owned the land from north of King up to Queen between Yonge and Bay. A Methodist and...
1st Canadian Parachute Battalion 24 March 1945 For his gallantry in the face of enemy fire on March 24, 1945, Corporal Fred Topham, 27, a medical orderly in the 1st Canadian Parachute...
In 1931 George McCordick converted an old farmhouse into a clubhouse and turned the surrounding countryside into a challenging golf course. The Cliffside Golf Course was located south of Kingston...
The coach-house of Chester Park is all that remains of the residence of the Thomas Taylor family, built circa 1880. Robert Davies, a brother-in-law, purchased it in 1885. These two prominent local...
This school bears the name of, and is located on land formerly owned by, James Givens, who came to Canada after fighting on the British side during the American Revolution. In 1791 he...
How did Grenadier Pond come to be? The answer dates back to the last ice age. Around 20,000 years ago this location was covered by an ice sheet 1 km thick. Over the millennia it slowly melted,...
Crawford Street passes through Trinity Bellwoods Park over a graceful triple-span concrete bridge which still exists, but is now buried beneath the street. The bridge once crossed a ravine carved...
Built in 1858 on Markham Road in Scarborough Village, this house was inhabited for over 80 years by descendants of Wm. Cornell who came from Rhode Island in 1799. Inherited by Matilda Cornell from...
In 1831, on this site at the Forks of the Don, then known as the Boatbildery, Capt. Philippe De Grassi, a veteran of the Napoleonic Wars, drew a grant of 80 ha on which he settled with his family....
In 1905 Sir Henry Pellatt purchased land which had been the private golf course of Albert Austin of nearby Spadina. The following year, anticipating construction of Casa Loma, he hired E.J. Lennox...
A lifelong citizen of Toronto, William James Stewart devoted most of his life to public service. He served as alderman, 1924-30, and as mayor 1931-34. During his tenure as mayor he...
This church was erected as a gift from the clergy of the Archdiocese to the Most Reverend John Joseph Lynch, D.D., the first Roman Catholic Archbishop of Toronto, on the occasion of the...
Once one of Toronto's grandest office buildings, this landmark served as the headquarters of the Confederation Life Association until 1955. Plans for the building arose from an...
Designed by architect H.G. Duerr to store furs, this building was constructed following the widening of Davenport Road in the 1930s. Its horizontal orientation and curved façade are characteristic...