A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible. Logo by Chop Shop

The Earth Scientist J. Tuzo Wilson

  The Earth scientist J. Tuzo Wilson (1908-1993), a key contributor to the theory of plate tectonics, was director general of the Ontario Science Centre from 1974 to 1985. Le spécialiste des sciences ...

  The Earth scientist J. Tuzo Wilson (1908-1993), a key contributor to the theory of plate tectonics, was director general of the Ontario Science Centre from 1974 to 1985. Le spécialiste des sciences ...

    Hendrix House

    Submitted by nealjennings

    Submitted by nealjennings

      To the memory of Trim

      This is a companion plaque to the one beside Trim, Matthew Flinders' Intrepid Cat (https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/trim-matthew-flinders-intrepid-cat ), outside the State Gallery of New South Wales ...

      This is a companion plaque to the one beside Trim, Matthew Flinders' Intrepid Cat (https://readtheplaque.com/plaque/trim-matthew- flinders-intrepid-cat ), outside the State Gallery of New South Wales ...

      • trim
      • cats
      • matthew flinder...

      A Bronzed Aussie and his Blue Heeler Dog

      Submitted by @_marty_k

      Submitted by @_marty_k

        The Federals Occupy Port Gibson

         About dark on May 1, 1863, Gen. W. E. Baldwin's Confederates retreated through Port Gibson. After crossing the suspension bridge over Little Bayou Pierre, the Confederates set it afire. On the ...

         About dark on May 1, 1863, Gen. W. E. Baldwin's Confederates retreated through Port Gibson. After crossing the suspension bridge over Little Bayou Pierre, the Confederates set it afire. On ...

        • mississippi
        • civil war

        Bayou Pierre Presbyterian Church

        Following the arrival of Presbyterian missionaries in 1801, Joseph Bullen and James Smylie organized the Bayou Pierre Church at this site in 1807. After part of the congregation formed the Bethel ...

        Following the arrival of Presbyterian missionaries in 1801, Joseph Bullen and James Smylie organized the Bayou Pierre Church at this site in 1807. After part of the congregation formed the ...

        • mississippi
        • civil war
        • church

        Battle of Port Gibson - A.K. Shaifer House

        Confederate Gen. Martin E. Green on the afternoon of April 30, 1863, posted his brigade near Magnolia Church, with an outpost here. Shortly after midnight. Green rode forward to check on his pickets. ...

        Confederate Gen. Martin E. Green on the afternoon of April 30, 1863, posted his brigade near Magnolia Church, with an outpost here. Shortly after midnight. Green rode forward to check on his pickets. ...

        • mississippi
        • civil war battl...
        • port gibson

        Kaibab Trail Suspension Bridge

          Leon Olson

          Leon Olson loved to walk here.https://oaklandwiki.org/Leon_Olson

          Leon Olson loved to walk here.https://oaklandwiki.org/Leon_Olson

          • oakland

          Al Capp Amphitheater

          Submitted by @beckerben

          Submitted by @beckerben

          • comic sans

          Abigail Adams Birthplace

          ABIGAIL ADAMS  BIRTHPLACE  ABIGAIL SMITH ADAMS,  THE WIFE OF JOHN  ADAMS, 2ND PRESIDENT,  AND MOTHER OF JOHN  QUINCY ADAMS, 6TH  PRESIDENT, WAS BORN  HERE IN 1744.  Submitted by @MaryAnnHogan525

          ABIGAIL ADAMS  BIRTHPLACE  ABIGAIL SMITH ADAMS, THE WIFE OF JOHN  ADAMS, 2ND PRESIDENT,  AND MOTHER OF JOHN  QUINCY ADAMS, 6TH  PRESIDENT, WAS BORN  HERE IN 1744.  Submitted by @MaryAnnHogan525

            Trinity Church - Mackinac Island

            TRINITY CHURCH   Episcopal services on Mackinac Island date from 1837, when a Bishop preached in the Mission Church.  For many years the congregation met in the post Chapel at Fort Mackinac and in ...

            TRINITY CHURCH   Episcopal services on Mackinac Island date from 1837, when a Bishop preached in the Mission Church.  For many years the congregation met in the post Chapel at Fort Mackinac and in ...

              MIAMI AND ERIE CANAL – FOOTPRINT OF LOCK 12

              MIAMI AND ERIE CANAL – FOOTPRINT OF LOCK 12 Construction of the Miami Extension of the Miami and Erie Canal, which included Troy, began around 1834.  Lock 12 was built in 1836.  General William Henry ...

              MIAMI AND ERIE CANAL – FOOTPRINT OF LOCK 12 Construction of the Miami Extension of the Miami and Erie Canal, which included Troy, began around 1834.  Lock 12 was built in 1836.  General William Henry ...

                GEN. BASIL W. DUKE, C.S.A.

                GEN. BASIL W. DUKE, C.S.A.   A close associate of brother-in-law John Hunt Morgan, Duke provided tactics, discipline, and spirit, major elements of success of famous 2nd Ky. Cavalry.  Wounded in ...

                GEN. BASIL W. DUKE, C.S.A.   A close associate of brother-in-law John Hunt Morgan, Duke provided tactics, discipline, and spirit, major elements of success of famous 2nd Ky. Cavalry.  Wounded ...

                  Remember the Raisin!

                  REMEMBER THE RAISIN!   Rendezvous of Kentucky Volunteers Aug. 15, 1812 ordered to relieve Gen. Hull at Detroit.  Kentuckians took Frenchtown (Monroe) on Raisin River Jan. 18, 1813.  Four days later ...

                  REMEMBER THE RAISIN!   Rendezvous of Kentucky Volunteers Aug. 15, 1812 ordered to relieve Gen. Hull at Detroit.  Kentuckians took Frenchtown (Monroe) on Raisin River Jan. 18, 1813.  Four days later ...

                    Scott County Courthouse

                    SCOTT COUNTY COURTHOUSE   Present structure, 4th courthouse of Scott County, erected in 1877 at a cost of $34,600.  It is an outstanding example of the French “Second Empire Style,” known in U.S. as ...

                    SCOTT COUNTY COURTHOUSE   Present structure, 4th courthouse of Scott County, erected in 1877 at a cost of $34,600.  It is an outstanding example of the French “Second Empire Style,” known in U.S. ...

                      Scott County 1792

                      SCOTT COUNTY, 1792   Formed out of a part of Woodford County, it was the second created after Kentucky became a state. Named for Gen. Charles Scott, 1739-1813, Va. native.  Officer in Revolution, saw ...

                      SCOTT COUNTY, 1792   Formed out of a part of Woodford County, it was the second created after Kentucky became a state. Named for Gen. Charles Scott, 1739-1813, Va. native.  Officer in Revolution, saw ...

                        GOEBEL TRIAL HERE

                        GOEBEL TRIAL HERE Scott County courthouse chosen by Judge J.E. Cantrill for trials of the 20 persons accused of being involved in the assassination of Governor William Goebel.  Although the murder ...

                        GOEBEL TRIAL HERE Scott County courthouse chosen by Judge J.E. Cantrill for trials of the 20 persons accused of being involved in the assassination of Governor William Goebel. Although the murder was ...

                          Elmwood Manor

                          Located here was a two-story, French Creole house, with two-tiered galleries. Although construction may have begun prior to the War of 1812, the house was not completed until 1828. Situated on a ...

                          Located here was a two-story, French Creole house, with two-tiered galleries. Although construction may have begun prior to the War of 1812, the house was not completed until 1828. Situated on a ...

                          • mississippi
                          • plantation
                          • disaster
                          • hurricane katri...

                          St. Augustine’s Seminary

                          Founded 1920 in Greenville, Miss., by Divine Word Missionaries. Moved to Bay St. Louis, 1923. Oldest existing Catholic seminary in Miss. for training of young men as missionary brothers & priests.

                          Founded 1920 in Greenville, Miss., by Divine Word Missionaries. Moved to Bay St. Louis, 1923. Oldest existing Catholic seminary in Miss. for training of young men as missionary brothers & priests.

                          • mississippi
                          • catholic
                          • school

                          First Baptist Church of Bay St. Louis

                          First established as the Elim Baptist Church in 1858, this congregation was dissolved in 1877 and revitalized in April 1896 as First Baptist Church under the leadership of Rev. O.D. Bowen. The church ...

                          First established as the Elim Baptist Church in 1858, this congregation was dissolved in 1877 and revitalized in April 1896 as First Baptist Church under the leadership of Rev. O.D. Bowen. The church ...

                          • mississippi
                          • church
                          • religion

                          Our Lady of the Gulf

                          Established 1847 by Bishop J.J. Chanche, S.S., first Bishop of Natchez. Mother church of Hancock County, third oldest Catholic parish on the Gulf Coast and fifth oldest in Mississippi.

                          Established 1847 by Bishop J.J. Chanche, S.S., first Bishop of Natchez. Mother church of Hancock County, third oldest Catholic parish on the Gulf Coast and fifth oldest in Mississippi.

                          • mississippi
                          • catholic
                          • parish

                          St. Joseph's Academy

                          On January 7, 1855, a Catholic parochial school was established on this site by the Sisters of St. Joseph who came to Bay St. Louis from Bourg, France at the request of Reverend Louis Stanislaus ...

                          On January 7, 1855, a Catholic parochial school was established on this site by the Sisters of St. Joseph who came to Bay St. Louis from Bourg, France at the request of Reverend Louis ...

                          • mississippi
                          • catholic
                          • school
                          • education

                          Hancock County Bank

                          Hancock County Bank opened on October 9, 1899. Weeks later the bank's board of directors purchased this property at the corner of Main Street and South Beach as the site of a new headquarters. Bay ...

                          Hancock County Bank opened on October 9, 1899. Weeks later the bank's board of directors purchased this property at the corner of Main Street and South Beach as the site of a new headquarters. Bay ...

                          • mississippi
                          • commerce

                          St. Stanislaus College

                          Founded 1854, by Brothers of the Sacred Heart. Oldest institution of learning on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. On Beach Boulevard, facing the Gulf, the school became college preparatory in 1923.

                          Founded 1854, by Brothers of the Sacred Heart. Oldest institution of learning on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. On Beach Boulevard, facing the Gulf, the school became college preparatory in 1923.

                          • mississippi
                          • education
                          • catholic