CITY OF BERKELEY LANDMARK
designated in 1985
FULLEN MARKET BUILDING
Henry S. Patton, Builder
Built by a real-estate developer during the East Bay building boom that followed
the 1906 earthquake, this corner store anchored the southwestern boundary of the
neighborhood once known as Regents Park. For over 75 years owners of the grocery,
and later the owners of Rivoli Delicatessen and Salami Factory, lived upstairs.
Tempting aromas lured prospective customers inside, as they waited for the streetcar
under the store’s retractable awning.
The original tile-roofed early Mission Revival-style building retains its heavy
beamed projecting bays and roof bracketing. Decorative S-shaped
wooden window mullions were later removed. The original
corner-store entrance has been relocated, although the
interior remains mostly intact.
Berkeley Historical Plaque Project