The Mechanics' Institute movement began in Britain and soon spread to North America. Its aim was to teach workers the applied technology behind new methods of manufacture and...
The Village of York Mills grew up around three mill sites on the west branch of the Don River about 10 km north of Toronto. From the opening of Samuel Heron's Mill in 1804 until 1926 when...
Early in the last century, athletic and social clubs were established to offer recreational opportunities to Toronto's Jewish young people. In 1919, a number of these clubs joined to form...
York Mills Public School was a two room schoolhouse built in 1925. It was known for many years as Baron Renfrew School, in honour of the then Prince of Wales who used that title while visiting the...
York Cottage was originally constructed circa 1850 as a one-and-a-half storey brick structure in the Ontario Cottage style. It replaced an earlier log cabin on this site. The Johnson family...
In 1798 the Town of York (now Toronto) erected its first jail and hanging yard on this site. Also known as 'the old log gaol', it was still standing when York opened a newer jail in 1827...
When the military hospital closed after the War of 1812, York was left without a hospital. Surplus funds raised by the 'Loyal and Patriotic Society of Upper Canada' for those who suffered as...
This graveyard is a rare remnant of the time when Willowdale was a small agricultural community centred around this stretch of Yonge Street. Aboriginal peoples hunted, fished, and camped on this...
While attending the University of Toronto and reporting for Toronto newspapers, William Lyon Mackenzie King lived here with his parents John King and Isabel Mackenzie, from 1893 to 1896. He then...
The need for a new school for the Riverdale area became apparent just prior to the turn of the century. Having resolved to provide a school, the Toronto Board of Education approved the purchase of...
This monument was designed by William Thomas, one of the most important architects in Victorian Canada, and made by Cochrane Brothers, Toronto's leading stone carvers in the mid-19th...
This building was erected in 1914 with a Carnegie Foundation grant to replace the Apprentices' Library at Old Dufferin Hall. Following the William Morris crafts movement, this Art...
At the end of the First World War (1914-1918), activities took place across Canada to commemorate the country's wartime efforts and to honour the over 60,000 Canadians lost. One of the...
Roughly 200 metres southwest of here (near today's Princes' Gates) was the location of the Western Battery - an outer earthwork fortification and artillery emplacement positioned to protect...
This Plaque is dedicated to the many women and men who graduated from The Wellesley Hospital School of Nursing and served their community and patients so passionately from 1912 to 1998 at which...
On the south west corner of King and Market Lane Park once stood the Wellington Inn, Terry and Catermole Watchmakers, Peter Paterson's Hardware Store and John Bishop's Butcher Shop. Next to...
A leading member of the Upper Canadian Bar, first professor of common and civil law at King's College, Toronto, William Hume Blake was born in Kiltegan, Ireland, and settled in Upper Canada...
West Toronto Junction began as the Canadian Pacific Railway stop for the Toronto Grey and Bruce, The Credit Valley, and The Ontario and Quebec Lines. In 1883 lawyer D.W. Clendenan purchased 100 ha...
Wrestling was featured at Maple Leaf Gardens almost from the moment the building opened, and after hockey, the unique combination of athletic prowess and pantomime billed as "an exhibition...
The Willow Grove Burying Ground was originally located about 6 km northeast of here, on the south side of Rexdale Boulevard, west of Kipling Avenue, in the community of Highfield. The site...