A gigantic map of all the cool plaques in the world. A project of 99% Invisible.

Taddle Creek

Near this location, a major stream once wove its way through the St. George Campus of the University of Toronto. Known as "Taddle Creek", the watercourse followed from headwaters in present-day...

Near this location, a major stream once wove its way through the St. George Campus of the University of Toronto. Known as "Taddle Creek", the watercourse followed from headwaters in present-day...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Top of the North Hill - 1850's

This rural view looks up Yonge Street, which climbed the North Hill out of Hogg's Hollow and went across gently sloping farmland toward the little town of Lansing in the distance. Saw mills were...

This rural view looks up Yonge Street, which climbed the North Hill out of Hogg's Hollow and went across gently sloping farmland toward the little town of Lansing in the distance. Saw mills were...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

The Toronto Normal School

The Toronto Normal School, the first provincial institution for the systematic training of elementary school-teachers, was established in 1847 through the initiative of the Reverend Egerton...

The Toronto Normal School, the first provincial institution for the systematic training of elementary school-teachers, was established in 1847 through the initiative of the Reverend Egerton...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Taddle Creek 'lost river'

This naturalistic ravine park setting know as Philosopher's Walk was once host to Taddle Creek, which over time has become 'lost' to Toronto's citizens. Taddle Creek flowed south for approximately...

This naturalistic ravine park setting know as Philosopher's Walk was once host to Taddle Creek, which over time has become 'lost' to Toronto's citizens. Taddle Creek flowed south for approximately...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Trillium Ferry

Docked here at the mainland ferry terminal is Trillium, a rare side-paddle steam ferry launched in 1910. The double-end, double-deck ferry was built locally by Polson Iron Works at the foot of...

Docked here at the mainland ferry terminal is Trillium, a rare side-paddle steam ferry launched in 1910. The double-end, double-deck ferry was built locally by Polson Iron Works at the foot...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

The Toronto Necropolis

This cemetery, comprising 7 ha, was opened to replace the Potter's Field which was located on the northwest corner of Bloor and Yonge Streets. Potter's Field, the first non-sectarian burying...

This cemetery, comprising 7 ha, was opened to replace the Potter's Field which was located on the northwest corner of Bloor and Yonge Streets. Potter's Field, the first non-sectarian...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Toronto Sailing & Canoe Club

Since its foundation in 1880 as the Toronto Canoe Club, this organization has promoted aquatic sports and contributed to the recreational life of Toronto. It occupied temporary quarters until a...

Since its foundation in 1880 as the Toronto Canoe Club, this organization has promoted aquatic sports and contributed to the recreational life of Toronto. It occupied temporary quarters until...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Sackville Street Public School

This school was designed in 1887 in a plain Victorian style by the eminent Toronto architect, W.G. Storm. It was the third school in the area, replacing the nearby Palace Street School, 1859, and...

This school was designed in 1887 in a plain Victorian style by the eminent Toronto architect, W.G. Storm. It was the third school in the area, replacing the nearby Palace Street School, 1859, and...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

The Stewart Observatory

Louis Beaufort Stewart, O.L.S., D.T.S., (1861-1937), a giant of early Canadian engineering, was the professor of surveying, geodesy and practical astronomy in the Department of Civil Engineering...

Louis Beaufort Stewart, O.L.S., D.T.S., (1861-1937), a giant of early Canadian engineering, was the professor of surveying, geodesy and practical astronomy in the Department of Civil Engineering...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

The Saint Vincent de Paul Children's Aid Society of Toronto

At the end of the 19th century disease and poor economic conditions meant that many children were orphaned or neglected. Ontario legislation in 1893 gave Children's Aid Societies guardianship...

At the end of the 19th century disease and poor economic conditions meant that many children were orphaned or neglected. Ontario legislation in 1893 gave Children's Aid Societies guardianship...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Silverthorn Family and Mill Farm

In 1811, John Silverthorn, a Loyalist who first settled in the Niagara Peninsula, registered 160 hectares of land on the north side of Dundas Street, east of Etobicoke Creek. With his son Aaron,...

In 1811, John Silverthorn, a Loyalist who first settled in the Niagara Peninsula, registered 160 hectares of land on the north side of Dundas Street, east of Etobicoke Creek. With his son Aaron,...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Simpson House

This building, designed to represent the 1850s house on the Francy Farm in Markham Township, is the work of architect B. Napier Simpson Jr., (1925-1978). The large 1840s Pennsylvania German-type...

This building, designed to represent the 1850s house on the Francy Farm in Markham Township, is the work of architect B. Napier Simpson Jr., (1925-1978). The large 1840s Pennsylvania German- type...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Springfield Farm House

This property was patented in 1802 by Andrew Thomson, a native of Dumfriesshire Scotland, and a brother to Scarborough's first settler, David Thomson. In 1839 his son James A. acquired the land...

This property was patented in 1802 by Andrew Thomson, a native of Dumfriesshire Scotland, and a brother to Scarborough's first settler, David Thomson. In 1839 his son James A. acquired the land...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Sewell's Road Bridge 1912-1981

In 1912, Frank Barber, Civil Engineer (1878-1945) designed and supervised construction of a steel suspension bridge on this site for the Township of Scarborough. Foundations and substructure were...

In 1912, Frank Barber, Civil Engineer (1878-1945) designed and supervised construction of a steel suspension bridge on this site for the Township of Scarborough. Foundations and substructure...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Sir John Beverley Robinson, Bart. (1791-1863)

The son of Loyalists, pupil and protégé of John Strachan, John Beverley Robinson was the embodiment of the values of the early Upper Canadian Tories known as the Family Compact. For almost half a...

The son of Loyalists, pupil and protégé of John Strachan, John Beverley Robinson was the embodiment of the values of the early Upper Canadian Tories known as the Family Compact. For almost half a...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Spadina Expressway

The Spadina Expressway was planned to run from Wilson Avenue in the north, through the Cedarvale-Nordheimer Ravine and the Casa Loma escarpment to Bloor Street in the south. It was designed in the...

The Spadina Expressway was planned to run from Wilson Avenue in the north, through the Cedarvale- Nordheimer Ravine and the Casa Loma escarpment to Bloor Street in the south. It was designed in...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

St. Andrew's Church

St. Andrew's Presbyterian congregation established in 1818, built a frame church in 1831 in the grounds which lie behind this monument. Within these church grounds are buried many of the pioneer...

St. Andrew's Presbyterian congregation established in 1818, built a frame church in 1831 in the grounds which lie behind this monument. Within these church grounds are buried many of the pioneer...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Sacré-Cœur Parish

In 1887, Sacré-Cœur Parish was founded as the first Roman Catholic parish to serve the French Canadian community in Toronto. Father Philippe Lamarche came from Montreal to found the church and...

In 1887, Sacré-Cœur Parish was founded as the first Roman Catholic parish to serve the French Canadian community in Toronto. Father Philippe Lamarche came from Montreal to found the church and...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

St. George's Hall

St. George's Hall was built in 1891 by the Benevolent St. George's Society of Toronto, Edwards & Webster, architects. Here the Society carried out its work of aiding British immigrants until 1988....

St. George's Hall was built in 1891 by the Benevolent St. George's Society of Toronto, Edwards & Webster, architects. Here the Society carried out its work of aiding British immigrants until 1988....

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown

Sir Adam Beck School and the Summer of '36

From the day that Sir Adam Beck School opened, in 1921, it became the Alderwood community's primary meeting place. It has hosted meetings of ratepayers, the Volunteer Fire Department, dances,...

From the day that Sir Adam Beck School opened, in 1921, it became the Alderwood community's primary meeting place. It has hosted meetings of ratepayers, the Volunteer Fire Department,...

  • toronto
  • ontario
  • alan brown